Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fig Fennel Fantasy...Free!

We who live in or near the Mission are about to get very lucky: Arizmendi, the worker-owned bakery, is opening a branch on Valencia at 24th. Today I was walking by, and saw a line...Nope, not open till next week, but they're busy doing practice runs and handing out the goodies to fortunate passers-by. So of course, JP and I joined the queue. Hard to choose, what with the wolverines, grape-laden focaccia, vegan lemon-blueberry scones and all. JP chose a simple currant scone, but me, I went for the round loaf of fig-fennel bread. And that was a very wise choice! I sliced it open, pleased to see the wealth of dried fig pieces inside. And wow, fig and fennel? It's genius! The bread itself was quite moist, and would be lovely toasted and buttered; I just scarfed it down without any ceremony. It was a fine figgy frenzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment