Sunday, September 5, 2010

Oaktown Soul

The Lovely Elise and I intended to go to Encuentro for dinner. We got there, though, and the place was closed for 'vacation', which we suspect means went-to-burning-man, judging by the dates and all. We were sorely disappointed, yes. But nearby is Souley Vegan, so it wasn't a total washout.
Elise loves this place, and I can see why. It's funky, friendly, and has some good food at reasonable prices. We shared the Everything Plate, which had big pieces of chickeny-looking Southern Fried Tofu, barbecued tofu (loved the sauce), collards, sweet yams, black-eyed peas, mac and cheese (I think they used ziti for their pasta), cornbread, beans and rice and fried okra. We also tried peach cobbler for dessert, but it was a bit canned for my taste, especially in stone fruit season.
Not far away is the Layover, a cool bar with some specialty cocktails on a chalkboard, a comfy couch in back and, later, a DJ. My cucumber and gin drink was ever-so-refreshing and nicely kissed with lime. The early-20's dude who tried to flirt with me was not kissed but got a friendly good-bye when we left for the BART train.

No comments:

Post a Comment