Friday, February 12, 2010

A Vegi Goes to Houston

What to eat in Houston, TX, where even the 'vegetarian' food includes chicken? A few places I liked:

La Madeleine
: it's an OK place for lunch. I had some decent vegetable soup, and a yummy flatbread topped with hummus, melted feta, olives and red pepper. I mean, they seem interested in offering healthy stuff overall, so kudos for that.

Anvil Bar: no way! This bar is in Houston? It looks like they airlifted it straight outta S.F. What a cool place. Great anvil logo and cool font on the menu, which included some nice bites, pizzas and suchlike. At the end of the bar was an actual anvil...nice touch. My drink was fantastic, altho my dude friend felt ordering it would be emasculating: I say get the Queen Park Swizzle anyway! It's like a mojito, with bitters added, served in a tall frosty glass. Best drink I've had in awhile.

Giacomo's: comfy little Italian restaurant. You order at a counter and sit down, they deliver things like a cheese plate, pastas, salads. We got a great assortment of antipasti: broccoli with ricotta salata, tuna and white bean salad, and ratatouille. My pal's ravioli looked lovely, and we dipped our bread in some decent, slightly peppery olio. Also, the cute dog pictures on the wall by the exit made me happy. Points for that, Giacom-owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment