Thursday, March 18, 2010

East Bay Envy

That's what I've got. On one of the most beautiful nights in recent history, I took BART to North Berkeley to meet my ex-neighbor Andy for dinner. But first I got to admire his cute little house in Albany, with its built-ins and fireplace and deck-with-a-view. The walk to Solano, which must translate to 'street of many restaurants', made me want to move there. Ohhhh. Cute Craftsman cottages. Flowers and lawns. Absence of trash and noise...
We went to Fonda, the perfect place to spend a slow balmy evening. My cocktail, Seis de Mayo, was a big glass of rum, pineapple juice, ginger beer and bitters...Despite my lightweight rep, I drank the whole thing. Then we shared some lovely small plates: spinach salad with oranges, walnuts, red onion and goat cheese; scallop ceviche; tuna tartare with avocado; warm tortillas; and more spinach, sauteed with pinenuts, apples and raisins.
The stroll back to Andy's featured a sliver of moon and several cats lolling around in their spacious yards. Everything smelled of jasmine. Nope, I wouldn't mind living there someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment