Saturday, September 12, 2009

Souperiority

I am lucky to have the Noe Valley Farmers' Market nearby. Often I can be found inspecting spinach, melons, tomatoes and peaches, but I don't usually buy meals there. The Mexican and Indian booths look good, but I've always been drawn to Juicey Lucy's, a purveyor of vegetarian sandwiches, soups, and - duh - fresh juices. Today, the drizzly weather and my grumbling stomach pushed me toward the kind-faced people behind the counter and in particular, their soup du jour. It was made with lentils, organic vegetables and heirloom tomatoes. Once poured into your biodegradable cup (or jar, if you're smart enough to buy one for future consumption) from a black cauldron, the soup is passed back to a fellow who applies a lovely garnish: in my case, fresh basil and a tiny fan of zucchini. It warmed and fed me well, the flavors as bright as the sun that burst out later in the day.

1 comment: