Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ariztocrat

If I could, I'd live at Arizmendi Bakery. Or, failing that, stop in on a daily basis for my bread, pastry and pizza needs. Sadly, I don't live nearby, so when I'm in the 'hood I make it a point to drop in and spend far too long agonizing over what to purchase.
Today, around 3, I was peckish and drawn to the gorgeous muffins. They all looked great - lemon poppyseed, bran with raisins - but I had to go with the blueberry corn muffin. It had that nice jutting top with crisp edges, and a perfect bit of cornmeal to add textural interest. Inside, ohhhh...the softest muffin ever, moistened by big fresh blueberries. And they use good ingredients, like organic flour and natural sweeteners.
I also picked up a small round focaccia dotted with kalamata olives and a puckery baked tomato. Sprinkled with salt, like an aristocratic pretzel, it was the perfect pre-dinner nosh.
If you haven't been, go to the foggy Inner Sunset and treat yourself. Just not on Monday when - it pains me to say - they are closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment