Wednesday, June 3, 2009

John's The Man

With all due respect to my spouse, I'm actually referring to John of John's Snack & Deli, a hole-in-the-wall space on Battery near Market. It's quite close to my workplace, and I'd been curious about it for awhile, owing to the pictures of Korean food in the window. Now I know: it's great. And John? Super friendly, and patient with lunkheads like me who take forever to make up their mind.
John's mom makes the Kim Bap, Korean sushi rolls filled with crisp veggies and egg. He gave me a complimentary piece to try, and it was a fine little nosh. John also stocks one of my all-time favorite snacks, rice balls wrapped in nori and filled with salmon. I bought one a few weeks ago and it made me very happy, not least because the nori is in a separate pouch, and there are instructions on how to wrap-it-yourself. Too cute!
Today I tried the popular kimchee burrito...People around me were getting meatified versions, but mine was veggie. It's a flour tortilla wrapped around rice, salsa, lettuce and some fiery kimchee, with good creamy tofu for protein's sake. It was messy to eat, but worth the trouble. John's mom must be very proud.

3 comments:

  1. amazing! i didn't know anyone else knew about john's deli. isn't it a treasure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I read one of your blog entries I'm suddenly bloody starving, even if I've just eaten! Ugh - now I want one of those rice/nori/salmon concoctions.
    I wanna be a food taster for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm eating my soggy leftover salad while I read your latest post, but now I want to get me a kimchi burrito!

    ReplyDelete