Wednesday, June 24, 2009

On an Upward Slant

At least I hope so. The tummy problem continues, yet I long to eat good things! And so, tonite, following a self-indulgent pedicure at Spa Nordstrom, I met JP for dinner at one of my favorites, Out The Door. It's the little sister of the divine Slanted Door, and nicely accessible to Nordstrom and Bloomie's. You just cannot have a bad meal at this place, and we started with some toothsome vegetarian spring rolls accompanied by a complex, peanutty dipping sauce. For the main event, there were caramelized prawns with onion shreds and a dark pool of soy-chili goodness, as well as bok choy and shiitakes that hinted of cooking wine. And there is no rice like the Slanted Door's broken rice: stubby white grains topped with minced green onion, a textural delight. I scooped the last of the caramel-garlic sauce onto my rice, admired my candy-apple toes, and hoped my ginger ale days were behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment