Saturday, June 13, 2009

Two Good Noshes

Yes, I ate lots of good things today. For the day began at the Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market, which may not look so crowded out front, but in the back...whoa! It's a mobscene! Everyone wants a sample of the kettle corn, or the Rainier cherries, or...what's the hugest line? It's for the candycots! Crazy-sweet little golden apricots, they have the highest sugar content of any 'cot you'll find. Ms Wig and I tasted them, and she bought an adorable box of the candyfruit, each nestled in foam like a precious jewel. People kept cooing over them all morning.
My evening nosh was more pedestrian, but still good: I finally made quinoa. I know, I know, I'm the last one on earth to discover how easy it is and how nicely the little grains crunch in your teeth, almost like tobiko. Topped with some soy-and-mirin-fried tofu, onions and crinkly savoy cabbage, it was a bowl o' goodness. And if you'd like some lovely savoy for your own self, why, stop by Dirty Girl's produce stand at the Ferry Building next Saturday. Then walk a few steps and grab a bouquet of poppies for $5. You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment