Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Meatless in the Mission

Last night, Elise-the-Baking-Goddess and I ventured to Modern Times Bookstore on Valencia for a reading by two amazing people: Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, author of "The Vegan Table", and Bryant Terry of the most excellent "Vegan Soul Kitchen". Wow! Both chefs are so personable and dynamic; Bryant, while reading from his book, even sang a spiritual that his grandma would sing when cooking. Oh, and he offered up part of the hip-hop song that raised his awareness about the meat industry.
When the question/answer period was over, there were noshes on the back table: crackers with a walnut-red pepper spread, and almond cookie balls dusted with confectioners' sugar. I can attest to the high yumminess quotient of both. And I think I need to buy me some vegan cookbooks. FYI, Bryant's even comes with music suggestions to accompany each recipe. Amen to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment