Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Joy of Leftovers

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to drop by Omnivore and heard Deborah Madison - founder of Greens, 20-year Tassajara Zen Center member - speak about her new book, "What We Eat When We Eat Alone". One of the topics discussed was leftovers: most people love 'em, some people - oddly, IMHO - hate 'em. As Deborah astutely pointed out, leftovers often taste better the next day. And you get that nice thrifty feeling, besides.
Today I had leftovers from yesterday's lunch at Herbivore, my local vegan eatery. Boring as I may be, I favor one thing in particular and order it often: the marinated tofu sandwich. It's a generous plate: the sandwich itself, with nice slabs of shoyu-infused tofu, avocado, lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickle and vegan mayo; a lettuce/tomato/cucumber salad with Dijon vinaigrette; and finally, their addictive and crispity baked "fries". There's so much, in fact, that half the sandwich comes home with me and makes for some happy noshing. I don't even mind if the bread gets a big soggy. No, I am firmly in the camp of leftover lovers.
And if you're on Church Street, stop by Omnivore. The selection of vintage cookbooks is enough to keep a food-lover distracted for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment