Friday, May 8, 2009

Do You Furikake?

I was still hungry, after my bowl of vegetable soup. I wanted something...something...and then I remembered! Leftover takeout rice in the fridge! Boring, you say? Not if you, like me, are wise to the ways of Furikake.
My first S.F. boyfriend turned me on to it; he called it "Japanese junk food". He'd grown up in Tokyo so it was a childhood treat. For me, it was a reason to haunt the groceries of Japantown. Furikake is a condiment of sorts, a rice topping that comes in oh so many flavors. Like, my jar is Yasai Fumi Furikake. Ingredients: sesame seed, carrot, spinach, pumpkin, celery, Japanese mustard plant, potato starch, sugar, salt and seaweed.
What's it like? Salty/sweet/toasty/crunchy; I like a dash of sesame oil and soy sauce to gild the lily. Hai!

http://www.quickspice.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/japanesefoodfurikake.shtml?E+scstore

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Do you have to go to a specialty shop to get Furikake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes i do! on buttered rice; on toast slathered with kewpie; on noodles with sesame oil. like it!

    ReplyDelete