Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Taking Comfort

We all have ways to comfort ourselves. Like, I'm wearing a sweatshirt that belonged to my Dad; that's as close as I can get to a hug from him. He got really small before he died because this sweatshirt fits me perfectly.
Comfort food is another universal thing. One of my big ones is pasta, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Who doesn't love them some noodles? The big comfort dish my Mom would make, when I was little and had a sore throat, was egg noodles with butter and cottage cheese. It was wonderful. Sigh...
Tonite I made a fancy-ass version of the beloved cheesy mac. First I boiled some radiatore (my favorite shape) till al dente, then drained it and tossed it with olive oil, freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano and some walnuts I'd chopped and toasted on the stove. Simple and quite soulful.
Dad's favorite comfort food was soup, but I think he would have approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment