Sunday, May 17, 2009

Feeling My Oats

The mini heat-wave continues. It is sunscreen and sundress weather; I wear both out to breakfast. Too hot, really, to want a plate full of eggs, toast and potatoes; too hot for my beloved pancakes. What I want is a nice, simple bowl of oatmeal. And yet, simplicity does not guarantee quality; I've had many an inferior bowl, mushy and overpriced. One place that does right by its oats is Savor. They use these very small oats which retain their texture, even while melting into a creamy porridge. Toppings include sliced bananas and golden raisins, as well as brown sugar (order it on the side, you'll only need a few sprinkles). I don't believe they charged me for the side pitcher of soy milk, either.
And out on the sidewalk, braving the wall of heat, I did not feel heavy or weighed-down. Just a bit wistful for the mimosa that could have been. Damned cabana boy...

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Julie. Left you a comment 'way back on scrambled eggs, and this one, to say thanks for visiting Zoomie Station. I'll look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete