Thursday, May 21, 2009

'Wichy Woman

The blogging gods were against me last night.

First, evil Comcast decided that too many people in my neighborhood were logged on, so I could not use the interwebs.

Next, two very evil kittens converged on my lap and proceeded to snorgle and snore in such a way that I grew…very…sleepy…

OK, all to say I missed a blog. But I have a nice nosh for you, today. This is especially good if you work in downtown S.F., as the place is on New Montgomery, a block down from Market. It’s The Sentinel, cheffed by the same guy who runs Canteen on Sutter (and apparently is a one-man band, even making his own ice bowls for chilled dishes). This tiny corner operation has grown quite popular, for good reason. I was tantalized by the smoked salmon/fresh salmon sandwich, which is laced with dill, fennel and creamy avocado. Although the counterperson assured me that white bread “presents better”, the wheat bread was a beautiful shiny roll that was sweet and fresh. Alongside this dreamy sandwich was a half dill pickle rolled in paper and a chocolate mint hard candy.

I ate this sammy very, very slowly, wishing, as I do when reading a great book, that it would not end. But I’ll be back, Sentinel. A herd of kittens couldn’t keep me away.

1 comment:

  1. i keep meaning to get myself a sentinel sandwich but is hard to treat myself in the middle of the day ... i must note that the sentinel smells heavenly in the morning -- warm sugared scones and steamy espresso -- so am sure it is a breakfast paradise ...

    ReplyDelete