Monday, May 25, 2009

Embarrassment of Noshes

Yesterday, not so much (although I did score some blueberry pancakes, not too shabby, at a place I've already egg-strapolated on).
Today the sun came out for Memorial Day. Ms M and I took advantage of this by walking up to North Beach, where I had a nice, slightly oily and altogether satisfying veggie focaccia sandwich at Mario's. It's got eggplant, roasty red peppers, onion, tomato sauce and Swiss cheese, all melted together in a cute little pizza oven. You can eat it with knife and fork, or pick up each piece (they thoughtfully slice it for you) and let the greasy goodness dribble where it may.
Ms M and I continued on to Russian Hill and there, on Polk St., encountered the dessert destination of my dreams: Loving Cup. If you like - nay, love - rice pudding, go there. Now. And it's healthy stuff, made with just rice, eggs, sugar and nonfat milk...plus a few well-chosen ingredients, such as Madagascar vanilla, or cinnamon and raisins (my choice). Someone please open a branch here in Noe!
And as you nosh, a moment of thanks for the veterans. My Dad was one, and I'm thinking of him now.

No comments:

Post a Comment